Wise Men

That may have become a tradition but the Bible indicates that almost 2 years
had passed since Jesus' birth when the Wise Men got to Bethlehem.  By then
the family was living in a house.  (Matt. 2:11) King Herod calls Jesus "the
young child" not a baby (Matt. 2:8) And Herod ordered all the children 2
years and under "according to the time which he (Herod) had diligently
inquired of the wise men." to be slain. (Matt. 2:16)
    We also assume there were 3 Wise Men.   Really, we only know that there
were more than one.  One wise man could have carried two gifts or a number
of wise men could have given gold, etc.
   No names are ever given for them but they all came from the East (Matt.
2:1) presumably from the Babylonian area where records would have remained
from the Jews living there during the captivity.  From these texts, the Wise
Men were able to determine the meaning of the "star" .   There would have
had to have been 3 different stars to lead each of them from the three
different directions at the same time to rendevous in Jerusalem.  And then
there is the problem of 3 different languages.  The representation of the 3
continents is pure fiction that doesn't fit the Biblical text that
specifically says they came from "the East" or make sense with Jewish
history.
     Here's another idea....  It is not likely that Jesus was born in
December.   Maybe in the fall??.  So a year and a half later around January
6th, the wise men could have come for their visit.   Then this date would
fit in, but they did come from the East.   And being important people, they
would have had servants, baggage animals, animal drivers, etc.
Laurel