Re: Australia

Hi ya'll - Duffing - rustling cattle, horses, etc. was
done in the American west. It may still be done, but i
don't think so.  An unbranded cow/steer was a "maverick"
and was 'fair' game. But people would rustle branded
stock and change the brand by burning in a mark that then
was registered to that person.  By putting in a line over
or under the original owners brand, made it a new brand.
Say the owner's brand would be his initials, "MJ", add a
semi-circle immediately under would make it Rocking MJ.
There was a famous case.  The brand started out as "IC",
the rustler changed it to "ICU" and was changed again to
"ICU2".  Now, or course, cattle are branded and their
ears notched in a certain way.  Rough justice would end
the problem by either hanging or shooting the rustler.
Thanks, Happy New Year. Sally