Re: William Douglas/Egidia Stuart

At 06:55 25/10/00 -1000, you wrote:
>Thanks for the reply , Donald. If I read Niven correctly , and the
>information I found at the Douglas website, I have both Archibalds and
>Williams in my tree. Given his reputaion for derring-do , it's no wonder
>James the Good had a couple of 'natural' children. I think those genes swam
>out of my pool.Take care , Kevin

The William I mentioned was known as "the Black Douglas" and, on the
borders, the English nurses would hush their children by saying:
"The Black Douglas comes, The Black Douglas will get thee"

Nevertheless, he was the Scottish paladin of virtue in those days of chivalry.
He had immense strength but what made him special was his gentleness
of manner.  He was as faithful to his friends as he was terrible to his
enemies.

Alas, he was treacherously killed in Danzig where he had gone to assist the
Teutonic Knights in their fight against the, then, pagan Prussians (This
qualified
as a Crusade and, in consequence, all those who took part were absolved of
their sins, past, present and future).  He was killed by assassins who had
been hired
by Lord Clifford who had insulted Douglas but, when challenged to a duel,
he feared to
meet Douglas in mortal combat so he paid men to waylay Douglas on the
narrow ancient
bridge of Danzig where the foul deed was done.

Douglas left a daughter who was known as "The Fair Maid of Nithsdale".

Niven Sinclair