Re: Books - observations on your comments

Dear Tim;
Following up on the stated proposoition of the Sword and the Grail (in
Andrew Sinclairs contention that these are connected with Prince Henry). I
had occassion to visit Lunenburg and view the cannons in person. There are
more than two but are replicas with one original source unknown. Now a
couple of observations on an attempt to reconstruct Lousiburg with the
original history. Nowhere in America were there more efforst made at greater
expense to replicate exactly the history with the science of the date and
time in history than Louisburg. Even the plants are attempted to be
replicated as were the clothes. worn. Now this means replicating the exact
materials from the original. Now this was possible for two reasons. The was
an attempt to be exact in replication, not similar or idential, but in so
far as possible very exact with the same marterials and measurements. In
this regard it is perhaps arguable the best archelogical site in all North
America. The second was that duplicate records existed about everything in
Paris in the military archives. So the site is not operating in ignorance
nor is the archivist.

Now two other observations. One the Prince Henry story is prominently
displyed in large public historical posters in the Municipal docks of
Lunenburg. It is generally believed in Nova Scotia that the Grand Banks
which gave Louisburg the status of 3rd largest settlement of its day in
North America, were because of the Cod fisheries ancient visiting spots for
europeans. They had been tapped by the Basques fisherman since 1200. So the
Prince Henry Story is not out of keeping with the local perspective of
history. Yes the cannon are mediteranian cira the 14th century and hence
contemporaneous with the history of Prince Henry, although not from any
archelogical site associated with him. The historical placques state that he
(Prince Henry visited near these shores in 1398. With compliments;
Neil Toronto