Re: New Viking Research

Dear Niel,

well there where several reasons for the Viking explorations. The most
important one though was the need for new trade markets. Above all the
travelling Viking where a merchant who did not set out to steal, lout
and kill (unless they had to). The climate was also of great importance
as the cooooooooold Scandinavia could not provide everything that was
needed....... like for instance a warm and sunny climate. This of course
made it very interesting to find new places as far away from Scandinavia
as possible in order to explore what a Viking might bring back from the
far far away... and also find out what to bring in order to trade on
their next voyage. But of course they where also interested in finding
new land, places for possible settlements but that was not the main
purpose of the voyages.

If you want to know more about it..... try this link out!
http://www.control.chalmers.se/vikings/indexframe.html

Best regard
Lena (who's main interest is "modern" history... 1700--)