Re: David SINCLAIR 1812-1891 & the Earldom of Caithness

Dear Peter,
    I have found this old message of April 7, 1999 perhaps too early to have
gotten into the archives of this discussion list.  I think it concerns the
time period you are addressing?:

>From John/Alexander/James    sinclairs@home.com
 "The Earldom of Caithness was in dispute at that time.  Reference 'The
Sinclairs of Scotland' author: Thomas Sinclair (M.A., Edinb) who had an
article in the "Highland Monthly" autumn of 1889.  In this article he
maintained that David Sinclair (brother of the 8th Earl of Caithness) of
Broynach's marriage to Janet Ewing was valid though irregular; and that
therefore his grandson, Captain James Sinclair, H.E.I.C.S. should have got
the Earldom when the 9th Earl died, whereas the title was awarded to a scion
of the Rattar section of the Sinclairs....

Mr. Thomas Sinclair, writing to the Aberdeen "Weekly Free Press', under date
23rd April 1898, says:--
 ' Captain James Sinclair could not prove Hon. David's marriage to Janet
Ewing, his grandmother, and William of Rattar gained his point by therefore
falsely attributing illegitimacy to him.  In 1786 Captain James returned
wealthy from India, and discovered ecclesiastical evidence of his
grandmother's marriage in the Caithness records. He immediately began action
before the Court of Session to recover his undoubted rights, but died
prematurely and unexpectedly in London, on 11th January 1788, on the point
of gaining title.  His uncle, Donald Sinclair's son William, baron-tacksman
of Islaud, was the next heir; but he was then a fugitive in Rothes for
manslaughter.  He would, nevertheless, have put in his claim, because the
accident, rather than offence, of 1760 was in self-defense and hot blood,
but he also died in December 1788, and his eldest son, John, did nothing,
dying at 40 in 1798.  His younger brother ultimately, in 1829, became the
'dejure' Earl of Caithness, James Sinclair, Muirends Farm, Black Isle,
Ross-shire father of John, his successor there.  The Rev. John Sinclair, M.
A., B.D. (Aberd.), Finloch-Rannoch Manse, Perthshire, is the eldest son of
this John; and genealogists are satisfied that he is the right and only Earl
of Caithness, as against the Aberdeen bank agent's eldest son in particular,
the American fruit {He was a dairyman or did he raise fruit also? Laurel)
farmer of Dakota, U.S.A."....
Thought you'd be interested in the above which I had acquired from an issue
of Scottish Notes and Queries, Vol XI dated June, 1898, page 189.
John Sinclair"
==============End of this message
Then there was a message from Ian G. Sinclair or this message could have
come before the above message?

"Assuming that the Clan chief is the Earl of Caithness, then the chief in
1776 was William III of Rattar, Earl from 1775 to 1779
His sons were:
John, William, James, Alexander & David
John succeeded to the title.
James, Alexander & David died young and single.
His daughters were:
Isabella & James
This extracted from 'Those Saint Clairs of the Isles'
Ian Sinclair"
It was this John then who was wounded by a musket-ball in the groin while
reconnoitering with Gen. Henry Clinton at the siege of Charlestown, VA 1780
during the American Revolution. d. 8 Apr. 1789 London  Unmarried   (his name
heads the list of Rev. war veterans on in the History section of
www.clansinclair.org
=======