Re: John Sinkler

At 10:51 21/05/00 +0100, you wrote:
>I am descended from John Sinkler who was captured at Worcester 1651 and who
>eventually ended up in New Hampshire.
>
>Unfortunately I couldn't find any reference to him on the Clan Sinclair
>website.
>
>I know that his ancestry has engaged the attention of his descendants for
>some time but the last I heard nothing definite as to his origins had turned
>up.
>
>Is there any new information out there as to his ancestry that someone could
>point out to me?
>
>Thank you.
>
>Roger Coone.
Dear Roger,

There are plenty of Sinklers in New Hampshire.

If you can let me have your postal address, I will send you the details
from the
"St Clairs of the Isles" which covers several generation of Sinklers, St
Clairs and
Sinclairs in New Hampshire.

The Sinklers run from John Sinkler who purchased 10 acres of land in Exeter,
New Hampshire in 1659 to an Ebenezer Sinkler who was buying land in Wentworth
in 1795 where the family already had land.

Many of the Sinklers served in the armed forces.  One, another Ebenezer,
was the
hero at the Battle of Saratoga in 1777 where he was killed but, although
his widow
was left in destitute circumstances, she was denied a pension although she had
three children to bring up - all under 14 years of age.

Niven Sinclair