Re: THE Bruce

Judith,

I, too, wonder since Bruce translates as "from Bruys" according to The
Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook. Robert the from Bruys??? Doesn't
make sense, does it? I look to our experts to solve this one.

>From the same source, I found the following: Rob Roy - red Rob; Wallace -
Welsh; and, last but certainly not least, Sinclair - from
Saint-Clair-sur-Elle. The latter we know to be true so I trust the others as
well.There was no Niven listed (sorry, Niven) but found Ian, which means gift
from God.

As for your name, Judith; Harper, also spelled Hearpere, is English and
means, logically, a harpist. Judith is attributed to both Hebrew and Latin.
In Hebrew it means praised, in Latin young. I realize it has little to do
with the Scots, but I though you might be interested if you didn't know
already.

Johnnye St. Clair-Gerhardt