Re: THE Bruce

At 22:10 25/03/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Judith,
>
>I, too, wonder since Bruce translates as "from Bruys" according to The
>Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook. Robert the from Bruys??? Doesn't
>make sense, does it? I look to our experts to solve this one.
>
> >From the same source, I found the following: Rob Roy - red Rob; Wallace -
>Welsh; and, last but certainly not least, Sinclair - from
>Saint-Clair-sur-Elle. The latter we know to be true so I trust the others as
>well.There was no Niven listed (sorry, Niven) but found Ian, which means gift
>from God.
>
>As for your name, Judith; Harper, also spelled Hearpere, is English and
>means, logically, a harpist. Judith is attributed to both Hebrew and Latin.
>In Hebrew it means praised, in Latin young. I realize it has little to do
>with the Scots, but I though you might be interested if you didn't know
>already.
>
>Johnnye St. Clair-Gerhardt

    Johnnye,

    For your information Niven means "a little saint" in Gaelic so, if you take
    my full name, I am a "little saint St Clair" which is why I am looking for
    a second hand halo!!

    Although Niven is unusual as a given name, the surname Niven is quite
common
    in the North of England and in Scotland.  However, my parents seem to have
    started a trend because there are now five boys called Niven after me
(none of
    them Sinclairs).  One of them is actually of Jewish parentage which is
quite
    appropriate because there are quite a number of Jewish Sinclairs -
including a well
    known Rabbi  in the United States and another here in London.

    Niven Sinclair

     Niven Sinclair