From: Margaret Stokes <milamba@labyrinth.net.au>
To: sinclair@mids.org <sinclair@mids.org>
Date: Sunday, January 30, 2000 8:38 AM
Subject: Re: Does the Cockerel have a name?

>Well I just have to pipe up here and let everyone know that Chanticleer is
>the name of our Newsletter here in Australia (which will be coming out in
>March) :):)
>
>And of course, Chanticleer is something of a "nickname" (I believe) for a
>cockerel or rooster - and we all know what the Clan Crest is, don't we!
>:)  So I'd say you're onto something there Iain!
>
>Happy hunting!
>
>Margaret :)
>
>At 11:25 PM 30/01/00 , you wrote:
>>Does the Cockerel of of our Clan badge have a name or a history?  Having a
4
>>(nearly 5) year old daughter has just reminded us of the Cockerel
>>"Chanticleer" or "Chanticler" of the Canterbury Tales by Chaucer.  For a
full
>>version of the story see http://www.hobrad.com/ctsampl2.htm .  The origin
of
>>the the name is Norman French.  Could the "Cleer" or "Cler" be a reference
>>St Clair?  Does anyone have anything on this?
>>
>>Yours aye
>>
>>Iain
>> The cockerel was the badge of a Captain general of the Knights Templar with

        whom the Sinclairs had strong links.  It is also the emblem of France.

       In some old documents Sinclair is written as Chantclere and,elsewhere, we
       find that the sun in all its glory (which is part of the arms of the Sinclairs of
       England) may be a punning allusion to "sun-glare" which has the same sound
       as St Clair and, if we can take the phonetic similarity even further, it could be
       sanglier because three boars' heads appear in a seal of 1292 belonging to
       a William de St Clere of  Kent in the reign of Edward I of England (who was
       the "hammer of the Scots" but who, never-the-less, relied on Sinclairs to protect his             realm).

Niven