Re: St Magnus Cathedral, Kirkwall, Orkney

At 15:40 30/01/99 +0000, you wrote:
>Dear Friends,
>
>The Roganvald in question regarding Kirkwall Cathedral,was Roganvald the
>Wise who,incidentally, went on the crusades.
>
>Best wishes
>
>tim

In order that our readers might not be confused because of the repetition
of the same names
in genealogy, it should, perhaps, be explained that there were three men
with the name of
Rogenwald who were, at different times, 'jarls' of Orkney, namely:

                 Rogenwald 'the Mighty', the progenitor of the Sinclairs
(871-890)
                 Rogenwald II, son of Brusi, 19th 'jarl' of Orkney (1035-1046)
                 Rogenwald III, the saint and crusader, the 27th 'jarl'
(1136-1158)
                 (He was killed near Loch Calder in Caithness)

Niven Sinclair