Re: African American St. Clairs

At 23:41 18/06/99 -0400, you wrote:

>Sorry, Karen, but my research speaks otherwise. It wasn't as common as once
>thought for former slaves to take their master's names. According to my
>source, less than 3% took their master's names. And don't ask the name of
the
>source. I can't remember. It's just that I once thought as you and found the
>statistic interesting enough to remember. I suppose I can dig it up if you
>want.
>
>Johnnye
>[ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@jump.net.

Our Clan genealogist in Scotland, Nicholas Cram-Sinclair is from Jamaica
and is an acknowledged authority on
the Clan history.  He now lives in Edinburgh.  He may be black but he is
proud of his Sinclair ancestry just as we
are proud to accept him into our Clan and to involve him in our Clan
activities.  He is a very useful and active member.
He is one of the guides at Edinburgh castle.

Those of you who are into reggae music will have heard of Bob Marley.
Well, his mother was a Sinclair.

Trevor Sinclair is a star football player (formerly with Queen's Park
Rangers and is now with West Ham Football
Club) here in England.  His name occupies several column inches of Press
every week.

I do not think that it was only a question of 'slaves' taking the name of
their 'masters'.  It was more a question of
the 'masters'  taking themselves African mistresses.  Many younger sons
were sent out to the sugar plantations
- more particularly if they had blotted their copybook at home.

There were many Sinclairs in Barbados and elsewhere in the West Indies.
 Genes travel further than the person
who introduced them and, if there are those West Indians who have taken the
Sinclair name, let us welcome them
to the fold.

Niven Sinclair