Re: NZ Sinclairs

Gary,
Pigeon bay has since I was 2 years old been a popularn family
destination, I go there every few weeks now and love the place.
As for Mount Sinclair I climbed at in the christmas holidays.
I have read many books and articles on the Sinclair family from
Pigeon Bay, I was and always will be facinated by their story. I have
articles and book excerts about the family and the tragic story of
Captain Sinclair and his wife Elizabeth, and I also beleive Thomas
Gay died in some what tragic circumstances. I am in contact with a
descedant in Hawaii whose great great great? grandmother was Helen
Sinclair who married C.B Robinson. He sent me a book on the family
history called 'Stories of long ago' by Ida Elizabeth Knudsen Von
Holt who was a Sinclair descendant. It was first printed in 1953.
I have stacks of information because when ever I do archive searches
in my area of Sinclairs I come across more info on the Pigeon Bay
branch. I also think I have a photo of pigeon bay scanned into the
computer.
 Ask me anything on these people and I will endeavor to find an
answer.
At one stage my g,g,g, grandfather William Sinclair was surveying
property for Mrs Elizabeth Sinclair. I discovered that while reading
old letters in national archives.

I think that you are looking for Captain Francis Sinclair no george.
Francis son of Sir George Sinclair.
>George Sinclair of Prestonpans was in the British Royal Navy. He
married a
>Elizabeth McHutcheson (1800-1893) b. Glasgow.
>George had a brother (1797-1846) that lived in Sterling,
Craigsforth)
>George and Elizabeth moved to New Zealand 1840. In 1843 they moved
to Pigeon
>Bay. There were 6 children: Helen b.1827, Jean b.1829, Francis b.
1834, Anne
>b. 1839, George b. ?,d. 1846.

I think george was the child lost at sea with his father.

>Jean married a Captain Thomas Gay, born in Scotland, British
Merchant Marine.

I beleive captain gay died in tragic cricumstances either in or near
Australia.
>They moved to Hawaii.
>Seems that this whole family has just disappeared as Kerry cannot
find any
>information on them.

Depending on what information is wanted there has been some much on
this family.  I thought that there was heaps of family still in
Hawaii and there is still the Gay and Robinson sugar cane works I
think.
I hope I can be of lot's more help.
Sincerely, Jenny Coster
North Canterbury, New Zealand