Honbl Lieut WILLIAM SINCLAIR

Thanks to a clue by Ian G Sinclair, I have now located the Honbl Lieut
William Sinclair.
Ian told me that the 10th Earl of Caithness had a son William. Burke's
Peerage and Baronetage, 1911, says of this son William:
Lieut in the army, died at New York, 23 Oct 1776.
This ties up with the information I have.
He was a Lieut in the 71st Fraser Regt. (Note that there were a few 71st
Regiments) I am only interested in the 71st Fraser Regiment, 1775-1784.
I am NOT researching the name Fraser.
I suppose Burke's book will be copyright, but it is a wonderful source of
info on descendants of prominent people.
I had a suspicion that Wiliam  was the son of a prominent Sinclair, hence
the Honbl.
For those interested, the next step is to see if family papers are stored at
the Scottish Record Office in Edinburgh. I will pursue. Has anyone been down
this route before? The index, if there is one, of Sinclair papers at the SRO
is another document that would be interesting on line.
Ed in Scotland