Re: Origins of Duncan A. Sinclair

-------

Jerry,

The following excerpts of the biography of James Sinclair [son of Duncan A.
Sinclair] published in "History of Texas" (Lewis Publishing Company of
Chicago, 1896) reads, "He [James] is the son of D. A. and Effie (McIntire)
Sinclair, also natives of North Carolina, where they married and reared
their family of seven children...

"Peter Sinclair, the grandfather of our subject, was also a native of North
Carolina, where he was living during the Revolutionary war, but was too
young for service.  By occupation he was a farmer, and was a leading member
in the Presbyterian church...

"The father [Duncan A.] remained in his native state until his family was
nearly grown when, in 1859, he came to Texas, locating in Bell County, where
he planted a crop, but the following year went to Arkansas.  There he died
six years later, at the age of sixty-seven.  His political support was given
the Democratic party.  After his death the family returned to Texas, and at
Dublin [Erath County] the mother passed away, in 1877.  She was a faithful
and consistent member of the Presbyterian church."

>From the forgoing, I have made the assumption that your ancestral Peter was
born in North Carolina.  There is another Peter Sinclair whose estimated
birth year is 1771, lived in Moore County (the same place) and whom I KNOW
was born in Scotland.  It's more likely that this is the correct match to
the Scottish parish records.

Karen Matheson