[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Reading Joe Erkes comments tonight re: sown dragons teeth (More Questions than Answers December 18th) has opened my eyes to something. Joe writes from a point of strong opinion. His writing does not lack emotion, but it lacks the vindictive tone that many of the posts here have had. (I'm very guilty of contributing to that tone.) In the post of December 18th, the writers take strong stands and, though I agree with only one point of view expressed, I agree more with the way the points are argued. I think a discussion of a political nature has a place here when presented as this December 18 one is. And I believe the key ingredient of that tone is respect for differing opinions. Allowance for and even encouragement of differing opinions as long as respect follows it. On December 13th, Mrs. Kyler wrote "I realize that everyone everywhere was in some way affected by the events of Sept. 11, 2001, and have a right to their opinions, but enough is enough." I must tell you that since that date, I, and probably others, have felt a need to "vent" opinions and take strong stands regarding all issues political, military, and national. Having few other methods for venting these feelings, this had become my outlet. It's been an emotional and very very difficult 3 months. I live about 10 miles from the WTC and watched from a hilltop as it fell down with many of my neighbors inside. I drove right under the twin towers at 2:00 a.m. the crystal clear night before they fell. Being so close to these events and seeing it in person makes theoretical discussion of it with folks who have the "wisdom" of distance especially difficult and annoying. More-so when I disagree strongly with some of the opinions expressed. But, while I don't believe there is wisdom in distance, I do believe there is objectivity in it. And there's a great advantage in being able to tap into that objectivity, even if we disagree, via lists like this one. I appologize for my part in the tone of voice Mrs. Kyler. I suspect it was the tone that annoyed you most, and I encourage you to read the December 18th posts to see the value that a non-geneology discussion from a non-confrontational point of view can add to the list. I feel it adds a great deal. And I hope someone can explain what it means to sowe dragons teeth. [ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@quarterman.org [ To get off or on the list, see http://sinclair.quarterman.org/list.html