[an error occurred while processing this directive]
labehotierre says, in part: The French were no dummies and so in 1803, they tricked President Thomas Jefferson into buying New Orleans and the rest of Louisiana, and in turn they could use the money to fight a war with most of Europe. The history books refer to this as the Louisiana Purchase. **************************** I just drove through a good hunk of the Louisiana Purchase a couple of weeks ago. I am not a geographer, but I would dare say that the real estate the French used to "trick" Jefferson is a trifle bit bigger than the whole of France. I am sure this is one where Jefferson got the last laugh; a lot of real estate the French gave up; I hope the won their little war. [ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@quarterman.org [ To get off or on the list, see http://sinclair.quarterman.org/list.html