[an error occurred while processing this directive]
On 31 Jan 2001 at 09:10:40 -0800 Laurel <laurel@spiritone.com> wrote: >Dear Cousins, >Can anyone help this person with his family search? >Since they kept the St. Clair spelling, it might be >that they are of the Rosslyn branch??? >Laurel >======================= > >> Hello Laurel >> >> Here is all the information i have . >> My great grandfather's name was John Archibald St.Clair >> , Minister of Melville Parish . [ Excess quotations omitted. ] --------------------------------------------------------- G'day from Western Australia Donald! (- And hello to the Clan Sinclair folk out there. I have only just subscribed) I have some information about your branch of the St.Clairs, although more on the ancestor side than descendants: I would first like to query your grandfather's middle name. It shows as "Even" on your e-mail (above), but volume 5 of the "Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae", page 416 (entry for John Archibald St Clair) shows the name as: >John Ewan St Clair There is also confirmation of his dob as April 8, 1884 and siblings shown as: >Sydney (also different spelling to your e-mail) Francis >dob: March 1, 1886 >Melville dob: April 19, 1887 >Evelyn dob: Nov 26, 1889 - died Nov 28, 1889 >Robert (no dob shown) Volume 4, page 240 of the same book has the following entry for John Archibald's father: >1860: >JOHN PATRICK SINCLAIR [ST >CLAIR], ord. in 1860; chaplain to >Aberdeen Prison 1880-1894. He had >issue - John Archibald, min. of Melville >Church, Montrose. John Patrick was born in 1820 at Kinloch Rannoch (no relation to the Rev.John Sinclair of Rannoch Church it seems) and married Catherine C SINCLAIR, born at Fort William in 1833. They had 5 definite(possibly 7) daughters and two sons, one of which died at an early age. The surviving son was your ggrandfather, John Archibald. I can also confirm that the Melville Church in Montrose still stands to this day, as I was there only 2 months ago. Being brand new to this list, I have further information, but am unsure of just how much detail to provide via this list. My connection? One of John Archibald's sisters, Rosabelle St Clair, is my ggrandmother - so we are definitely related! It's quite a thrill to find a LIVING St.Clair relative! I hope it's the same for you, Cheers, Ian Newman Perth, Western Australia (just across the Indian Ocean) [ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@quarterman.org [ To get off or on the list, see http://sinclair.quarterman.org/list.html