[an error occurred while processing this directive]
The response that a group of people with a strong ethic who are prepared to stop and think and speak about the other things of life is very important, is true. I don't agree with the death penalty as I also believe life is sacred, but when I wrote in response to Niven I was agreeing that if it had to be done, it should not have been done as a public entertainment. We think we are more sophisticated than our forebears - but are we? What would have helped McVeigh? What could have prevented the terror? I saw somewhere that he had recognized he was damaged from the Gulf War. Perhaps he declined something or asked for help, but whatever - our society has not been able to find a solution that satisfies everyone for any question. Incarceration for life? Terrible. For a set period - would that satisfy all those whose loved ones died innocently? Set free? so some one else can take revenge? Death - we hate the word - we fear it, and we reject the idea of it. I have no answers, I can only regret that he killed, and that our society has no other answer. Jean Sinclair Stokes. At 10:59 12/06/01 -0700, you wrote: >Cousins, > It seems that I will be a minority on this one, but that is a >position I find familiar. >We (society) were wrong when we killed Timothy McVeigh. We did to him >exactly what he did to others, we killed him in cold blood. This is >murder, plain and simple, and in some ways it is a more horrific crime >than the one perpetrated by McVeigh in that we (society) formulated a >plan, wrote this plan down so we can do it again(!) and then we killed >him. We killed him to show that killing people is wrong. > Cousins, when will we catch a clue that the death penalty is not >justice but simple revenge? What we do in killing these criminals is >the same as hitting our children to show them that hitting is wrong. [ Excess quotations omitted. ] [ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@quarterman.org [ To get off or on the list, see http://sinclair.quarterman.org/list.html