[an error occurred while processing this directive]
This information is all thanks to Captain Marshall A Hall, U S Navy. 200 Navy Pentagon, Washington DC 20350-2000 USA. If anyone finds this information useful or interesting please write to Captain Hall. One Sinclair family stands out in American Naval history. Is Beverly Kennon Sinclair's We are fortunate to have Sally Spangler, a direct desendant of this amazing Sinclair branch on our list. His G Great grandfather General, Captain Continental Army, First provisional Governor of Louisiana. His Great grandfather was a midshipman on the constellation 9 Feb, 1799. Rising to Commodore, who fought in the war of 1812. Grandfather, Commander Arthur was in command of four vessels during the Mexican war and commanded with Perry in Japan. He ' Also punished the Figians (Fijians) for eating two Americans.' Eleven others served from this Sinclair family of Sailors. Arthur Sinclair was an officer of the Merrimac. One Commodore Sinclair in 1821 'conceived and carried out the idea of a ' Nautical School' America's first navel Academy. After the American civil war we find yet another Sinclair of this family as a midshipmen at Annapolis. Arthur Sinclair was a guest of Queen Victoria. As time permits I would like to share some of the information I have on this Sinclair Naval family. These are transcripts of a papers I have on William Beverly Sinclair, surgeon, US Navy and Confederate Navy. William has written this in his own hand from prison. To Captain Samuel F Du Pont, Commanding Naval Station,Philadelphia April 1861 'My Dear Sir, Lest you be having so much to occupy your mind at this time, have failed to apprehend my wishes in relation to the contemplated resignation of my commission.I beg leave to furnish you this memorandum. I refer to the letter, from yourself, which you so kindly consented should accompany my resignation. I am sure you will not suppose I am assuming any loftiness in stating that I neither seek nor desire better terms, from the goverment, in offering my resignation, than has been accorded to my brothers and friends at Norfolk and elsewhere who without a betrayal of trust, honorably and openly placed that trust with their commissions, in the hands of those from whom they received both. You are aware I would not send my resignation from Norfolk, where I then was, on temporary leave from you; deemimg it my duty to return first to my post here ere doing so. If the statment of this fact to the honorable Secretary of the navy, will relieve me from the embarrassment of a detention here I would like it mentioned.' I am, Sir, most respectfully and truly, W. B. Sinclair Surgeon, U.S.N This following document was dated 4 years later. Willaim Beverly was now a Confederate Surgeon and was captured and gave the following parole. Headquarters C S Navy May 1865 I William B Sinclair, surgeon C S Navy Prisoner of war, do hereby give my solemn Parole of honor not to take part in hostilities against the Goverment of the United states, until properly exchanged, and that I will not do anything directly or indirectly to the detirment or disparagement of the authority of the United states, until properly exchanged as aforsaid. Signed William B Sinclair. Ann Scanned copies of the original documents will be sent off to John. [ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@quarterman.org [ To get off or on the list, see http://sinclair.quarterman.org/list.html