Another ignored NS event

Roy,
    This is a bit off the subject, I admit but it illustrates how short
sighted Nova Scotia is.

Have you heard of Beryl Markham? She was raised in Kenya and following a
very interesting youth, became a pilot.  She was a contemporary of the
people in the movie "Our of Africa".  Anyway she was the FIRST person to
ever fly solo, nonstop from Abington, England to North America.  East to
West.  She crashed in a bog on the edge of Cape Breton ISland Sept 5th 1936
(as near as I can figure out ).
    When we were near Fort Louisburg we were finally able to find someone
that told us what road to take out to the crash site.  All we found were a
couple of houses of French fishermen and millions of mosquitoes.  No signs,
nothing to mark this event.
    Later outside of Halifax we just happened to stop for gas at the site of
the NS Aviation Museum and found one small newspaper clipping marking the
event.  The encyclopedia doesn't even say anything.
But my talking CD has this.  This CD is really a useful product!!

(markm)    Beryl. 1903-1986. British aviation pioneer who was the first
person to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean from east to west (1936).

Excerpted from American Heritage Talking Dictionary
Copyright © 1997 The Learning Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.