looking for help

Hello,
Can anyone please help me, I am really stumped on who the parents were
of my gr-gr-gr-grandfather James Sinclair married to Catherine
Trottier.  I figure that James Sinclair most have been born around the
1820's and lived in Manitoba.  All I have to go on is what my
grandfather's sister had told us.  This may sound dumb, but did anyone
ever hear of  a castle and having to pay back taxes, on the estate in
Scotland years ago, the reason I bring this up is to find where James
fits in on the Sinclair line.  I would appreciate any information!
thanks
Bernie