Re: The St. Clair Voyage - 1398 to 1998

At 12:48 03/08/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi, Friends, Cousins, and Shirt-tails,
>
>I've lurked on this list for about a year and enjoyed, sometimes even
>laboriously the eloquent and fascinating topics which arose.
>
>I have to thank all of you who've contributed to the presence, success and
>endurance of the list.  I love to read Nevin's, Richards, Toni's, and
>others thoughtful comments and historical wisdom.  Thanks, All.  Would love
>to meet you.
>
>Nevin, your letter re the voyage interested me, and I came alive when I
>read about the lack of cash offered to build the ship.  When I learned of
>it at Laurel Fechner's home, I promptly dug out my checkbook and
>contributed a pittance, my $20.
>
>I can't believe that nobody else offered any financial support, and when it
>is described as 'zilch' I have to wonder where my $20 went, as well as
>other contributions.  It just doesn't add up.
>
>Myra Perala
>
>Myra, I have no doubt your $20 would be put to some use.  Gary Smith,
>Chris Minty and others

  devoted many many hours to the project; commissioned drawings and
eventually had a model

built which, although beautiful, did not match our understanding of what
Henry's ships wouldhave

looked like.

You may be sure that there was no 'scam', no wastage of money just too
little of it to make a

dream become a reality.  The students deserved better but, as usual, they
received more critcism

than praise for their enterprise.

Although I contributed to the venture, I wasn't actively involved because
my business commitments

keep me tied to my office desk - apart from the various sallies to the
Scotland and the States.

Niven Sinclair