Re: The St. Clair Voyage - 1398 to 1998

At 14:10 01/08/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Has anyone seen this page?
>
>http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/~exped/stclair/stclair.htm
>
>Amber

Replica boat to re-enact the crossing of Prince Henry Sinclair.

  I gave the enthusiastic Edinburgh University' students £400 to get them
started.  This was followed by a
further £10,000 to prepare a model (now in the United States) but, as there
was very little money being
contributed from other sources (including zilch from the United States and
an equal sum from Canada),                                           the
project ran out of money rather than steam.  I also paid the air-fare for a
fund-raiser to go to Canada
to present the case to a large Canadian Company (founded and run by
Sinclairs) in the hope of generating
interest there.  Again there was lots of enthusiasm but a complete dearth
of funds.

The students had gathered some very experienced boat-builders and seamen
together.  They deserved
greater support.

A lady is now planning a voyage from Venice to the New World via Orkney and
Shetland.  She already
has a boat.  I have agreed to address a gathering in Venice later this year
to raise funds.  This has the
support of the Mayor of Venice so we are hoping for a happier outcome.

Niven Sinclair

Ideas are wonderful but money is needed to carry them through