Re: PEI Sinclair musicians-response

Dear Kay;
It was a pleasure to see such appreciation of Prince Edward Island and its
music. For the purposes of information to the Sinclair List, the earliest
PEI Sinclairs go back to Argyll roots with a few Sinclairs from Thurso and
more recently from Ireland. If anyone is interested in PEI Genealogical
research I can give a hand and steer you to the right places we hope!
Now in direct response I am not aware of any fiddlers and pipers from the
Island or that any Sinclairs are connected to compositions. That does not
mean there aren't any composers (Sinclairs did start the radio station in
Charlottetown) but I simply am not yet aware of any in the music circuit.
You are correct that because of the population mix, fiddling and piping are
very strong Island traditions. The piping association in Summerside is a
must for tourists. Special fiddling and acadian performances occur in
Charlottowne annually each summer. Sinclairs did sit in the PEI legislature
and represent the Island in Parliament. If any members of the list are PEI
Sinclair descendants I would be pleased to meet you electronically and send
us a quick hello. I will be pleased to assist you and share where we can. I
am pleased to report that I have met 3 great gentlemen which are directly
related from this list, so do take heart.
Yours aye;
Neil
PS Your reference to the earliest pioneers being fiddlers was indeed
correct.  In any group of families one would find quite a few that knew the
instrument well. It was compact, easy to move and learn and in a land where
other instruments were scarce the fiddle was versitile and such that one
could dance to easily.