Re: St. Clair and Sinclair spellings

>I was surprised to read Jean haddow's comment that the "Rosslyn" Sinclairs
>might want to retain the French version of the name.

Jean Haddow didn't say that; Toni Sinclair did.
Jean is the one who said that keeping a French pronunciation was unlikely.
It's easy to become confused when the quotation marks (>) get deep.

>When I visited Rosslyn it appeared from the eariest gravestones that the
>original Sinclairs there were indeed Spanish and bore the name Sancto Clara.

Spanish would be San Claro.
Spanish is also Santa Clara, as in Santa Clara, California,
but that's a different saint; see
 http://www.mids.org/origins.html

>Has anyone else come across this version ?

What you are aiming at is the Latin version of Sinclair or St. Clair,
as for example in the Declaration of Arbroath, in which our ancestor
is listed as Henricus de Sancto Claro (notice the letter o on the end
of each word, which makes their genders both masculine and thus matching).
See
 http://www.tartans.com/arblatin.html
or
 http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/home/Scotland/arbroath_latin.html

I think this is the version of the name that Fred Pohl liked to
translate as Holy Light.  It's actually taken from our namesake
saint, Sanctus Clarus (Latin) or Saint Clare or Saint Clair (English).
The name Clare or Clarus comes from the same Latin root as the word
clarity in English.  Claro is just another inflection of Clarus
(don't ask me which one; I'm no student of Latin).

In any case, Latin was the universal tongue of educated people in
Europe in those days, and Latin versions of most names were common for
legal documents and the like.  So in a document addressed to the Pope,
Henry St. Clair wrote his name in Latin as Henricus de Sancto Claro,
Duncan Count of Fife wrote his name as Duncanus Comes de Fyf, etc.

For another example, Columbus is Latin; Christofo's name as he
was given it in his home town of Genoa, Italy was Colombo.

John Sinclair Quarterman <jsq@mids.org>