Re: Some Timeline corrections for Clansinclairusa

Dear Sinclair,

There is an old Jewish proverb which states that 'Where there is confusion,
there is profit' In this instance the confusion has led to understandable
errors as well as proifit for the myth makers.

While I use the Catholic Encyclopaedia, I filter its opions for bias. In this
instance ther is none, but it is more than a little vague on the subject of
Margret's place of birth. Others seem to have misinterpreted this as a
definitive statement that she was born in Hungary and have published this as a
fact - namely the 'Gazeteer for Scotland' et al. as well as the Timeline.
Butler's 'Lives of the Saints' is somewhat more reliable. However being a
simple bog-trtting Inrish peasant I have undue respect and reverence for
contemporaneous documents wherever possible and my money goes on the
Anglo-Saxon Chronicles.

Hows the weather in Normandy?

Best wishes

Tim
labehotiere@wanadoo.fr wrote:

> Dear Wallace-Murphy
>
> Margaret birth place is listed at various sources as Wessex or Hungary. I
> have seen as many reference for one as the other. The Catholic Encyclopaedia
> equivocates "The date of Margaret's birth cannot be ascertained with
> accuracy, but it must have been between the years 1038, when St. Stephen
> died, and 1057, when her father returned to England. It appears that
> Margaret came with him on that occasion and, on his death and the conquest
> of England by the Normans, her mother Agatha decided to return to the
> Continent" Thurston, H.J., Attwater, D. Butler's Lives of the Saints.
> Christian Classics, Inc., Westminster, MD 1938 says that "Margaret, despite
> her appellation, was born a Saxon in 1046 and raised in Hungary" other

[ Excess quotations omitted. ]

--
Message sent with Supanet E-mail