Sgt. Mackenzie

I wanted to share the lyrics of the song by my new friend, Joe Kilna
Mackenzie, written about his great grandfather. I've become very interested
in the Seaforth Highlanders in the last few years. This group is only
recruited from the northernmost counties of Scotland including Caithness.
Many of our Sinclair fathers fought bravely as did Sgt. Mackenzie. I believe
our own Niven was/always will be a Seaforth Highlander.

Lay me down,
In the cold cold ground,
Where therefore,
When he might have gone.

Lay me down,
In the cold cold ground,
Where therefore,
When he might have gone.

When they come,
I will stand my ground,
Stand my ground,
I'll nae be afraid.

Thoughts of him,
Take away my fear,
Sweat and blood,
Hide my veil of tears.

Once a year,
Say a prayer for me,
Close your eyes,
And remember me.

Never more,
Shall I see the sun,
Fought and fell,
Tae a German's gun.

Lay me down,
In the cold cold ground,
Where therefore,
When he might have gone.

Lay me down,
In the cold cold ground,
Where therefore,
When he might have gone.

Where therefore,
When he might have gone.

In memory of Sgt. Charles Stewart Mackenzie, Seaforth Highlanders. Who, along
with many others, gave up his life so that we could live free. We WILL
remember them!

Donald Sinclair, Indianapolis