Bob's your uncle!

Dear List Members:

qualified suggestions being offered, I will venture to suggest my
understanding of it. I will say first of all that it comes from no
authoritative source, just my own speculation - so it's probably less than
two cents worth!

I always have thought that it probably arose in the era when "Bobbies" were
nick-named as a reference to Sir Robert Peel, British Prime Minister from
1841-1846.  If "Bob's your uncle" then any trouble you happen to find
yourself in will be taken care of immediately, ie. you have a friend in a
pwerful position, ie. problem solved!

Just a guess.
Ian A.Sinclair
Ont,Can.