Re: diversity and discernment

 I think that message went before I even got started, sorry.

Yes, I have been thinking that there were a group of us much interested in
J.R.R. Tolkien's works back then.  And then yesterday while going through a
stack of old messages, I found my question about the Rowan Tree planted by
the Queen Mother in Wick where St. Columba's well was.

 "Columba died about 730 at Glamis where there is a St. Fergus Well and his
remains were deposited in the church of Glamis.  His stone effigy at the
Wick church, dating from the late 15th or early 16th century, was probably
commissioned by Sir William Keith of Ackergill and Inverugie.  The Queen
Mother planted a commemorative Rowan tree on the spot where his well was in
Wick on Aug. 17th 1989.  A Rowan Tree is usually planted near he home
because it keeps witches away!
 from History of old Wick Church By Michael J. Gunn

I wonder if it will be mentioned in "The Lord of the Rings"   We are going
to go see it in the next few day.
Today I  bought a video callked "The Origin of the Rings"  An authorized
tribute.  Discover the incredible story behind the magic of J.R.R. Tolkien.
This exciting documentary features never before seen interviews with members
of the Tolkien family and a host of other experts!"
 "If you have ever wondered where these mystical worlds came from now you
will have your answers.  Tolkien's incredibly comples stories of good vs.
evil are timeless classices for all ages  Find out everything you ever
wanted to know about your favorite heroes, wizards and goblins.  this is
unlike anything you've seen on Earth!"
  Haven't played it because right now 11:30 pm we are awaiting our daughter
to arrive from Tennessee and wanted to wait to play it when she comes.   I
am hoping that this will sort of refresh our memory before we see the movie.
There is so much going on in these books, so many names, and places,
songs/poetry and connections that I hope we can keep it all straight.
Probably will be a good one for DVD.

  Dear Niven sent me a group of leaves from that Rowan tree in Wick because
I could not attend the gathering.  That man is a gem!  We here know the
Rowan tree a the Mountain Ash.
Laurel