Re: Witch Hunts, etc.

Dear Jeff,

     I believe that the man who was pressed to death was named Giles Corey.
I think he mentioned to the town authorities that his wife was reading a book
and she would not let him look at the book.  When he was called before the
authorities to state that his wife was a witch, he would not do so.  He
refused to say anything.  The stones would put on his chest in an effort to
make him speak, but he would not and so he died.

Sincerely,

Susan M. Grady
Alexandria, Virginia