Apology to Mrs. Kyler

Reading Joe Erkes comments tonight
re: sown dragons teeth (More Questions than
Answers December 18th) has opened
my eyes to something.

Joe writes from a point of strong opinion.
His writing does not lack emotion, but it
lacks the vindictive tone that many of
the posts here have had. (I'm very guilty
of contributing to that tone.) In the post
of December 18th, the writers take
strong stands and, though I agree with
only one point of view expressed, I agree
more with the way the points are argued.
I think a discussion of a political nature
has a place here when presented as this
December 18 one is. And I believe the key
ingredient of that tone is respect for
differing opinions. Allowance for and even
encouragement of differing opinions as
long as respect follows it.

On December 13th, Mrs. Kyler wrote "I realize
that everyone everywhere was in
some way affected by the events of
Sept. 11, 2001, and have a right
to their opinions, but enough
is enough."

I must tell you that since that date,
I, and probably others, have felt a
need to "vent" opinions and take strong
stands regarding all issues political,
military, and national. Having few
other methods for venting these feelings,
this had become my outlet. It's been an
emotional and very very difficult 3 months.
I  live about 10 miles from the WTC and
watched from a hilltop as it fell down
with many of my neighbors inside. I
drove right under the twin towers at
2:00 a.m. the crystal clear night before
they fell. Being so close
to these events and seeing it in person
makes theoretical discussion of it with
folks who have the "wisdom" of distance
especially difficult and annoying.
More-so when I disagree strongly with
some of the opinions expressed.
But, while I don't believe there is wisdom
in distance, I do believe there is objectivity
in it. And there's a great advantage in
being able to tap into that objectivity,
even if we disagree, via lists like
this one.

I appologize for my part in the tone
of voice Mrs. Kyler. I suspect it was