Re: "Sinclair's Chains"

At 10:40 AM 12/9/01 -0500, you wrote:
>According to "The Saint-Clairs of the Isles" a small lock puzzle,
>called the "bojor," was ascribed in one or another to Malcolm
>Sinclair, the murdered ambassador.  Over a century ago, this toy was
>popular with children in Norway, Sweden and Denmark.  Some say
>Sinclair invented that lock as a form of amusement while in captivity.
>It is also thought that it was used on his prison door and he was
>promised to be set free if he could open it. Another theory is that it
>was used on Sinclair's dispatch box while in route to Constantinople.
>It consists of a bolt that has to be disconnected from seven rings.
>An ingenious device to say the least.
>     My question--has anyone seen one of these bojors.  It would be a
>neat device to exhibit at a Clan Sinclair tent.  I am sure that it

[ Excess quotations omitted. ]

I have never heard of this, but I think it sounds like a great idea! (And a
great idea for a story, too, for that matter. hmm.) I would love to see one.

Jen

Jennifer St.Clair Bush
http://www.sff.net/people/jenstclair
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/enapay/
"I'm a card-carrying member of the cult of story" --Bryn Neuenschwander
"You don't define yourself by what you have to do to make a living, but by
what you want to do." -- Charles DeLint, Memory and Dream