list discussions

I have two things to say about recent list discussions, one from me,
the other from someone you may know.

For all the foofaraw, the number of subscribers has remained constant
for the past few months at around 215.  With a few exceptions, such as
the 6 hour complainer, who is now gone at his own request, list members
may be complaining, but they aren't leaving.

``In every country where man is free to think and to speak, differences of
opinion will arise from difference of perception, and the imperfection of
reason; but these differences when permitted, as in this happy country, to
purify themselves by free discussion, are but as passing clouds
overspreading our land transiently and leaving our horizon more bright and
serene.''
--Thomas Jefferson to Benjamin Waring, 1801. Memorial Edition vol. 10, p. 235

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>