Re: weighing in to finding truth

Greetings all;

I am entering upon the Templar - Masonic discussion from the perspective of
a well read and somewhat informed student of history but as well as a user
of the English language.

When someone asks for 'evidence' it may come in varied types and from
different sources as well as being weighed very differently. For example the
perspective that "Templar thought survived" requires a number of
perspectives. Historical, theological, social, anthropological and
archeological. Students of each of these disciplines can weigh in with a
perspective. There are two premises however to appreciate. Both arise from
the use of language. First what was "Templar Thought" and where did it "
Originate in order for it to survive?"  And there you have enough study to
fill many colleges with research, of both original and secondary in nature.

For those on the list that are perhaps lost, how this ties into Sinclair
history in a nut shell is to appreciate that thinking of a Gnostic and non
catholic tradition pervaded parts of Europe. Some of these thoughts,
practices and rituals worked their way into the Templar cultural tradition
and some of this thinking, philosophy and theological approaches migrated to
Scotland and the best source for study just happens to inter twine with
Sinclair History.

The evidence sought and studied let alone available is tremendous and yet
until the last ten years this aspect of our historical traditions was lost
to a more standardized approach to the political and social history of
Europe. Then suddenly the histories of esoteric traditions surfaced and
Sinclair families ties into a significant part of it. Freemasonry is not
Templar although draw from what are some Templar traditions. But we are
starting to work into ideas that may have been oral, under ground or
certainly private. We are looking into links with thoughts and ideas which
are inter woven with ideas, thoughts and writings of the time. An idea is
never static, and always being changed. So "thoughts" evolved as did people
using or reflecting upon these thoughts. So evidence of ideas and thoughts
is not an easy topic.

I encourage those on the list to read Tim Wallace - Murphy's books as a
valuable part of this historical questing. I have found them to be
insightful from the perspective of history - political and social
understanding. I add he has an excellent grasp on a theological appreciation
of esoteric traditions that also inter wove with society. Tim is a good
writer that has added to this topic quite considerably. I also encourage
list subscribers to read the many books on this list, some of speculative
and many contain however evidence which may not be archeological but
circumstantial or logically presumed. This is not new to students of
history. The very study of Christ falls into the same evidentiary problems
as many other aspects of historical approaches. Josephus may be the only
scholar writing on Christ and may be the only proof of existence. However
the "thought" survived as did other traditions surrounding the evolution of
Christianity.

I urge on this topic one has to define their understanding and terms and
then to argue without asserting statements of conclusion. Any one question
can take volumes of written material just to start to reply to. Have fun, I
am learning with all of you.

Neil Sinclair
Toronto/PEI/Argyll