Re: The Crown Jewels of Scotland

> Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 10:57:04 +0100
> From: "labehotierre" <labehotierre@wanadoo.fr>
> Subject: Re: The Crown Jewels of Scotland

[snip]
> He then returned to Rome to enter the priestly state. Twenty-two year
> old Henry in 1747 was created cardinal, the next year he received
Holy > Orders, and was ordained priest on 1 September 1748. He was
forthwith > made archpriest of the Vatican Basilica, and immediately
afterwards
> cardinal camerlengo.
[snip]

Thank you so much for this very interesting bit of history. However,
being a non-Catholic, perhaps my prior knowledge of the procedures of
the Church has been incorrect. I have been under the impression that to
become a Cardinal, you were first a Bishop, perhaps for many years, and
prior to that, you became a Priest years before. This passage seems to
stand that on its head, reversing the process. Am I totally wrong, or
is this one of those cases where things are done somewhat differently
now than in the past?

Sorry for the very "non-Sinclair" content in this question, but I'm
just seeking further light. There's entirely too much darkness in this
world today, let's illuminate the unknowing, starting with me, if we
can.

Ken DeBusk, Michigan, USA

"It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own
ignorance." --Thomas Sowell

"Wonder rather than doubt is the root of knowledge." -- Abraham Joshua
Heschel

"The larger the island of knowledge, the longer the shoreline of
wonder." -- Ralph W. Sockman