Appearance of Prince Henry Sinclair's Ship

Oh my Mrs Grady

Sorry for the extra 'O'. It is rude to get a person name wrong. .

Niven Sinclair told me that the ships displayed on his videos were the wrong
sort of ship.

I have no doubt that your brother is eminently qualified. The late Mr
Cumming, God rest his soul, left many un referenced assertions which have
led to a great deal of speculation and for me confusion.

The Bremen cog in Germany,  dated to 1380 AD.was found in 1962, excavated
and lifted in one piece. The intact hull is 15.5 m long. It was  restored
and is displayed at the Schiffahrtsmuseum, Bremerhaven, Germany.

In Hanseatic notes in the Lübecker Zollrolle of 1227. The ships were divided
in three classes:
Under 5 lasten under 10 tons
5-12 lasten 10-24 tons
More than 12 lasten more than 24 tons
In a similar document from 1358 there were two classes:
Under 60 lasten  120 tons
More than 60 lasten 120 tons

During the 14th century some of the cogs were constructed with a carvel
hull, but clinker still dominated. Is the replica clinker or carvel?

Shortly before 1400 AD the cog had grown, developed and changed so much that
it was a new shiptype, called the holk.  Given the dating of Henry's
purported voyage could this type of ship been used?

Sinclair

Ref: Christensen A.E., 1991, Hanseatic and Nordic ships in medieval trade:
were cogs the better vessels ?. in: Villain Gandossi C., (Ed.) Medieval
ships and the birth of technological society