Sinclair Dates

   [1]Tomorrow:
   November 7

   1558: Mary I d., Queen of England dies.

   1805:  Lewis  &  Clark  sight  the  Pacific  Ocean,  The United States
   stretched from sea to sea, as a result of the Louisiana Purchase.

   1811:  Battle  of Tippecanoe, by the river Wabash vaults William Henry
   Harrison to national attention.

   1872:  Mary  Celeste  sails from NY to Genoa;, found abandoned 4 weeks
   later

   1916:  First  woman  elected  in  any major legislature in the world.,
   Republican  Jeannette  Rankin  of  Montana  elected.  In  1916 she ran
   successfully for a seat in the US Congress on a progressive Republican
   platform  that  called for national women's suffrage, child protection
   laws,  and  prohibition.  At  the age of 88 in 1968, she led more than
   5,000  women  who  called  themselves  the Jeannette Rankin Brigade to
   Capitol  Hill  in  Washington DC to demonstrate their opposition to US
   involvement in Vietnam. Rankin was the only member of Congress to vote
   against  the  American  entry  into  World  War I or World war II (she
   served  two  two  year  terms, 1917-1919 and 1941-1943) In 1917 Rankin
   declared, "I want to stand by my country, but I cannot vote for war. I
   vote  no."  In  1941,  responding to the roll call which followed a 40
   minute  debate  on  the declaration of war against Japan, Rankin said,
   "As  a  woman,  I  can't  go to war and I refuse to send anyone else."
   --[2]labehotierre@wanadoo.fr

   1983:  Bomb  explodes  in  US  Capitol,  causing  heavy  damage but no
   injuries