Re: Poem "The Lay of the Last Minstrel" by Sir Walter Scott

>Hello!
>
>       Someone has asked me to mail him the part of the poem "The Lay of the
>Last Minstrel" by Sir Walter Scott that deals with the drowning of Rosabelle
>and "the lordly line of high Sinclair."  I have this part of the poem,

The rest of it may be found by looking for Rosabelle top center in
 http://sinclair.quarterman.org/

and following the links.

> so I
>will send it, but I was wondering, please, does this part of the poem have
>any connection to real events in the Sinclair family in Scotland?  If so,
>could someone please tell me when this event took place and give me a
>detailed description of the people involved and exactly what happened?

According to Pete Cummings, Rosabelle was the "wife of Sir Henry the Crusader,
2nd Baron of Rosslyn."
 http://www.clansinclairusa.org/history/eventsandplaces/RosslynChapel/pages/petecummingsarticleross.html

In Pete's genealogical data, he has that Henry Sinclair b. 1060 d. 1110
(so the only crusade he could have been in was the First Crusade, of
1096-1099).  And he has that Henry's wife as Rosabel Forteith b. 1060.

He does actually provide references in this case,
to Rosslyn Chapel by Earl St. Clair Erskine- of Rosslyn,
to ``The Templar Legacy & The Masonic Inheritance Within Rosslyn Chapel
by Tim Wallace-Murphy, and to The Sword and the Grail by Andrew Sinclair.

However, Pete did not provide footnotes, so it's not clear which of
these references was the source for his comment about Rosabelle.

>       Thank you very much for your kind assistance in this matter.

Tim Wallace-Murphy is on this list; perhaps he can say more.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>