Re: Victoria's descendants

>>Dear John
>>
>>Your chart is clear and concise.  Mountbatten is not the Royal family.
>>Windsor is. Your chart shows it.  Thanks.
>>
>>Sinclair

Well, that chart didn't show the whole story, as it turns out.
Indeed, Queen Elizabeth II is not descended from the Battenberg or
Mountbatten family.  However, Prince Philip is: his mother was
a Alice Battenberg, sister of Earl Mountbatten of Burma.
So the descendants of the present Queen and Prince Consort,
while they appear to have taken the family name of the monarch,
Windsor, are also Mountbatten descendants.

I've updated the chart to include these connections:

 http://www.quarterman.org/chart/henryviii/big/mountbatten.html

Several sources say the family name question is even more complicated.
Apparently the Queen decreed that all her descendants other than
those with the titles Royal Highness, Prince, or Princess would
have the family name Mountbatten-Windsor.

They're also Oldenburg descendants, for that matter, through
Prince Philip's father.

What have Queen Victoria wrought?

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>