RE: the Marquis de Lafayette

Sinclair, according to the information that I have, Lafayette was indeed
a Mason.  I've had the honor of attending the laying of a cornerstone
and the Grand Master of Masons in South Carolina used "The Lafayette
Trowel" for the ceremony.  Although I don't have a photo of the Trowel,
I have photos of the ceremony on the SC Grand Lodge web page.  If
interested, it is there for your viewing, along with my Dalcho award at
this year's Grand Lodge!  ha-ha!.  Go to:
http://www.scgrandlodgeafm.org and click on "Photos", scroll down to
"Cornerstone Laying" and you'll see the public Masonic ceremony which
occurred, May, 2001.

The Grand Master, G. Kent Elkins, is a member of my lodge in Greenville,
SC.  He is not only GM but has become a special brother.  He
participated in my Masonic and York Rite degrees, including that of
Knights Templar.  In fact he conferred the KT degree on me.  Beautiful
degree.  But, I digress.

When I typed this information on the GL website, I failed to include the
source.  I apologize.  I'll be glad to check further, but it will have
to wait a few days.  You can find the Lafayette information on the Grand
Lodge page by clicking on "Did you know" and scrolling to "Patriot
Masons in South Carolina".

>From the SC Grand Lodge web page you will find the following:

"General Lafayette was born in Auvergne, France September 6, 1757 and
died in Paris May 20, 1834.  He arrived at Georgetown, S. C. on his own
ship June 13, 1777, was commissioned a Major General July 31, 1777, a
commission he held until November 1783.  General Lafayette was the last
surviving General Officer of the Revolutionary War.  Wounded at
Brandywine in September 1777, he served at Valley Forge the winter of
1777-1778.

After the war he served with distinction in France.  Returning to
America in 1824 for a triumphal tour and received unprecedented honors,
Masonic and otherwise on this trip.

The Lafayette Trowel:  The most valued museum piece owned by the S. C.
Grand Lodge is the "Lafayette Trowel."  The Marquis de Lafayette came to
Camden, S. C. in 1825 to lay the cornerstone for a Baron DeKalb
monument.  The stone was laid with a silver trowel composed of Mexican
silver coins and is still used for ceremonies in the state.

General Baron DeKalb

General Baron DeKalb, one of the distinguished Europeans who contributed
so much to the American war effort, came to this country with Marquis de
Lafayette.  They put into port at Georgetown, S. C. on June 13, 1777.
He was commissioned a Major General in the Continental Army in 1777 and
joined the main army in New Jersey, under George Washington shortly
afterward.

General DeKalb was mortally wounded on August 16, 1780 at the battle of
Camden, South Carolina and died three days later.  He was buried August
20, 1780 by his victorious adversaries, among whom there were many Free
Masons, with military and Masonic honors.
On March 8, 1825, his remains were moved to the front lawn of the
Bethesda Presbyterian Church on DeKalb Street and re-interred.  On the
occasion the cornerstone for a monument over his grave was laid by
General Marquis de Lafayette under the direction of the Grand Lodge of
Ancient Free Masons of South Carolina."