Re: George III

>What about the birthday of the well beloved 'Mad King' in 1738 the birth
>George III (1760-1820)?

Good point.  Added, for 4 June 1738.

See also:
 http://www.quarterman.org/chart/henryviii/big/gv.html

Here's a poem about him:

 Sonnet: England in 1819

 An old, mad, blind, despised, and dying king, --
 Princes, the dregs of their dull race, who flow
 Through public scorn, -- mud from a muddy spring, --
 Rulers who neither see, nor feel, nor know,
 But leech-like to their fainting country cling,
 Till they drop, blind in blood, without a blow, --
 A people starved and stabbed in the untilled field, --
 An army, which liberticide and prey
 Makes as a two-edged sword to all who wield, --
 Golden and sanguine laws which tempt and slay;
 Religion Christless, Godless -- a book sealed;
 A Senate, -- Time's worst statute unrepealed, --
 Are graves, from which a glorious Phantom may
 Burst, to illumine our tempestous day.

 	-- Percy Bysshe Shelley

1819 was during the regency by George III's son, the future King George IV.

>Surely he must be a favourite with our American
>cousins. Invite him to a tea party in Boston or send a silversmith out for a
>nights ride.  He would have loved it.

He was of course the "He" of Jefferson's numerous "He has"es in the
Declaration of Independence, including one about what caused that
tea party:

 "He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to
 our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to
 their Acts of pretended Legislation:

 "...

 "For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:"

Etc.

Calendar entries are always welcome.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>