Re: Joseph of Arimathea

Hi,

> dweller@ramtops.demon.co.uk writes:

>> Shroud of Tunis? I think you mean the Shroud of Turin, a medieval fake

> Fake?  Why, hadn't you heard?  The latest buzz is that it is Jacques
> DeMolay's image (really, that is the current story, "supported" by the
> carbon-14 testing).

When it was first presented to the public it was presented as an image
of Jesus, and Pope Clement declared it a  fraud.

As an object it is real, of course.  As what it is generally claimed
to be, it is a fake, which is what I meant. I'm aware of the claims by
Knight and Lomas (and their suggestion that Jesus was an ugly dwarf,
there were two of him, etc.).

A skeptical, or rather dismissive, review of their book is at http://www.masonicinfo.com/books/secondmessiah.htm

Doug

--
 Doug Weller  Moderator, sci.archaeology.moderated
 Submissions to:sci-archaeology-moderated@medieval.org