The Skeleton in Armor

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Longfellow poem, The Skeleton in Armor.
The poet said about the poem:

"is connected with the old Round Tower at Newport. This skeleton in
armor really exists. It was dug up near Fall River, where I saw it some
two years ago. I suppose it to be the remains of one of the old Northern
sea-rovers, who came to this country in the tenth century. Of course I
make the tradition myself; and I think I have succeeded in giving the
whole a Northern air."

 http://www.library.utoronto.ca/utel/rp/poems/longfe2.html

The above web page has a bit more information about the body
found buried near the tower that occasioned Longfellow's poem.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>