	-----Original Message-----
	From:	John S. Quarterman [SMTP:jsq@quarterman.org]
	Sent:	Thursday, March 21, 2002 9:54 AM
	To:	sinclair@quarterman.org
	Subject:	Re: Viking Pine

	>Actually, I believe; though I could be wrong, that Viking ships
were
	>"clinker" built, which means they built the shell first & then
inserted the
	>ribbing. This was the common method of ship construction until the
15th
	>century when the "carvel" method became the norm. Considering the
date of
	>Henry's assumed voyage it would be a toss up as to which ship
design he
	>would have used.

	For some actual ships, see:
	 http://www.ukm.uio.no/vikingskipshuset/engelsk/engelsk.htm

	There are also people who build them today, readily findable
	on the web.  I imagine they've done some research as to woods
	and methods.

	John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>
sinclair@quarterman.org
http://sinclair.quarterman.org/list.html