RE: 11 November 1918-Remembrance Day

I believe the alliteration is taken too far, it usually says, 11th hour,
11th day, 11th month!  And they there are those of both sides of the
Atlantic who do not observe Armistice Day.  The Yanks have made it
Veteran's Day and don't bother other than that.  You say Armistice Day
here in the States and everyone looks at you in blank non-recognition!
Some Veteran's organizations sell poppies on the 10th and 11th, but only
people like me buy them - the ones who either are veterans or have one
or more generations of veterans in their families. I like the British
idea of stopping and keeping silence at that time!
Just came home from a visit to France and went to the War Memorial at
Caen!  Too bad it was so rainly and windy, I would like to have gone out
onto the beaches.  Maybe next time!  Other than "In Flander's Fields" is
one from the next generation - "High Flight," John G. Magee, Jr.
"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
  And danced the skies on laughter-silver wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
  Of sun-split clouds-and done a hundred things"

"You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
   High in the sunlit silence, hovering there.
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
  My eager craft through footless halls of air."

"Up, up, the long delirious burning blue
  I've topped the wind swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew.
  And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
 Put out my hand and touched the face of God."

But then again, we all need to remember what has gone before and why,
especially why. History in all it's blood, gun fire and death need not
be repeated so each generation may again say "This is/was a senseless
war!"  Iam a 'hawk' not a 'dove'.  Sally