Re: Harry Ford Sinclair

Harry Ford Sinclair parents were John & Phoebe Simmons

SINCLAIR PHOEBE born: 05/14/1845 West Virginia died: 07/20/1946 Los Angeles,
California

SINCLAIR HARRY FORD born 07/06/1876 West Virginia  died 11/10/1956 Los
Angeles, California

KANSAS: A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions,
Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Persons, Etc. Supplementary
Volume of Personal History and Reminiscence. Vol. III. Part I. Standard
Publishing Company, Chicago. 1912. Page 85.

HARRY F. SINCLAIR

Harry F. Sinclair, a prominent oil operator and producer and a leading
financier of Independence, Kan., who has been prominently identified with
the development of oil and natural gas in Kansas and Oklahoma, was born in
Benwood, now a part of Wheeling, W. Va., July 6, 1876, the son of John and
Phoebe (Simmons) Sinclair. His father was born in Monroe county, Ohio, and
his mother in Wheeling, W. Va. They came West and located in Independence,
in 1882, where Mr. Sinclair opened a drug store, which he conducted until
his death in 1893. He is survived by his wife who still resides in
Independence.

Harry F. Sinclair spent his boyhood in Kansas, attended the public schools
of Independence and after graduating from the high school entered the
pharmacy department of the University of Kansas, at Lawrence. Upon receiving
his degree at that institution, he entered the drug business, but he was a
natural financier, and with keen foresight, realized that oil and gas were
to become important commercial commodities. He gradually invested in such
properties in Oklahoma and has achieved gratifying success in their
development. Everything he takes control of turns out well, and though still
a young man, Mr. Sinclair is on the high road to fortune. He was one of the
organizers of the State Bank of Commerce, at Independence, which was later
absorbed by the First National Bank of Independence, of which Mr. Sinclair
is a director. This first banking institution proved so successful that Mr.
Sinclair has become interested in several other banking houses and is the
efficient vice-president of the First State Bank of Caney, Kan., and of the
Exchange National Bank of Tulsa, Okla. He is a member of the Benevolent and
Protective Order of Elks, and is a Republican in politics, but has never
cared to hold public office, as his business interests take all of his time.
On July 21, 1904, Mr. Sinclair married Miss Elizabeth Farrell, of
Independence, Kan.

________________________

KANSAS: A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions,
Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Persons, Etc. Supplementary
Volume of Personal History and Reminiscence. Vol. III. Part I. Standard
Publishing Company, Chicago. 1912. Page 87.

EARL W. SINCLAIR

Earl W. Sinclair, of Independence, Kan., vice-president of the First
National Bank, was born in Benwood, now a part of Wheeling, W. Va., May 5,
1874, being the son of John and Phoebe (Simmons) Sinclair, the former a
native of Woodsfield, Monroe county, Ohio, and the latter born in Wheeling,
W. Va. His paternal great-grandfather was a native of Ireland, descended
from fine Scotch-Irish lineage. He emigrated from the Old Country and became
one of the settlers of Ohio when it was the "far west" to residents of the
mountains, and there his son, John Sinclair, Earl's grandfather, was born
and reared. The Simmons family is of English extraction, so that the
Sinclair boys inherit the fine qualities of three Anglo-Saxon races. In
1882, when Earl Sinclair was only eight years of age, his parents came to
Independence, Kan., where the father opened a drug store, which he conducted
until he died, in 1893, aged fifty years. Mrs. Sinclair still resides in
Independence. The Sinclair children were reared in Independence, attended
the public schools and grew up healthy, sturdy boys. After completing high
school, Earl W. decided upon a commercial career, and entered a business
college for special training in branches that would be of use to him in
everyday life. Soon after leaving the commercial school he went to Chicago,
where for about five years he held a clerical position in the offices of the
Chicago, Burlington & Quincy railroad. He resigned and for two years engaged
in the drug business at Independence, but all his energies were developing
along commercial lines and he entered the office of a lumber company at St.
Louis, Mo., where he worked for four years. Returning to Independence he was
for a short period in the natural gas business and then became one of the
organizers of the State Bank of Commerce, at Independence, becoming its
first cashier. This bank was later consolidated with the First National Bank
of Independence, at which time Mr. Sinclair became vice-president of the
latter institution, which position he has continued to hold to the entire
satisfaction of the directors and stockholders. He is a most able financier
and has a considerable influence in shaping the policy of the bank, which is
one of the most progressive and substantial concerns of its kind in Eastern
Kansas. In politics Mr. Sinclair is a stanch Republican, and while he
loyally supports the party, he has never cared for public life or office.
Fraternally, he is a thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason, a Knight
Templar and member of Ararat Temple, Ancient Arabic Order, Nobles of the
Mystic Shrine, Kansas City, Mo. Mr. Sinclair's wife was formerly Blanch
Stich, the daughter of W. E. Stich, a well-to-do resident of Independence.

WANDA SINCLAIR
Rexdale, Ontario