Lion Heraldry

What would the origin of the Scottish Lion be?
Would it have been from the Saxons, Normans,
or have derived from the Crusaders encounters
with Lions. Or did it come from the French or
Moors? I am not sure how far into Europe the
lion in it's natural state was found in ancient times, but I do not
think it reached France, Scotland or England.
Another  question for the list is, did the
Scots use the Lion emblem first, or did the English?
The English have at least on one occasion utilised
what they believe to be an important  Scottish emblem
viz the Stone of Scone.

Mark Anderson