Re: Alexader II or Robert I (de Bruce)?

on 21/04/2001 16:04, Spirit One Email at laurel@spiritone.com wrote:

> Francine asked : Now, is Pentland the same as Roslyn?
>> But one thing is somewhat confusing here: the same document states that it
>> all happened under Alexander II (1214-1249).... and a few pages later, it
>> says that it was Robert (I) de Bruce (1274-1329) who gave them these
> pieces
>> of land... ?
>
> Probably he was usually called Baron of Rosslyn except when dealing with the
> Pentlanders.  "Same occasion" usually means, for the same reason.  Some
> lands were given in "Life rent" meaning  for the life of the recepient and
> later regiven under "Free Heritage" which meant it was then passed to the
> next generations.  Sometimes charters were lost/burned in seiges  and had to
> be reissued.  My only reference to Robert the Bruce is the bestowing of
> Pentland Moor Forest on William 6th Barron (father of Henry 7th Baron of
> Rosslyn, who signed Treaty of Arborath).

Dear Laurel,

many thanks for the information. I still don't know the « what same reason»
would be for Robert de Bruce I to give both men these lands in the same
neighbourhood» and at he same time?  Based on the timeline info and wars, it
is obvious that these lands were seized and resissued a few times- same
story happened over the following centuries for the de Clerc/Clerks
apparently, based on what I can read. But what would such a «same reason» be
in the first place?  For good service to the Robert de Bruce?  For being
brave and well deserving knights?... I have nearly nothing to substiantiate
what my intuition tells me: that both men (Henry Sinclair and Randolph de
Clerc) were both somehow involved in the same thing (what?) during the
Crusader times -- or maybe I am totally wrong! But the probability is there.
How can I verify this? This man Randolph de Clerc sems to be a very obscure
person. Maybe he was a monk, maybe he was a secondary player in history.
Totally unknown to nearly everybody investigating Scotland's history. Yet,
he was considered worthwhile enough to be given such land. Intriguing, isn't
it?

Also, an interesting point to note is that de Clerc's name has French
origins - just like the Sinclair/Sainte Clare/Sainte Claire name... maybe
both from Normany?...

Still, the main question here remains: WHY would the King bestow such
property? We all know about the major role of Henry Sinclair (during the
Crusader years) but nothing about de Clerc- this Randolph de Clerc may not
be an important player on the eyes of the Sinclair Clan but he is to me!

Anyone with clues?

Thanks again!

Francine