administrativia

Cousins,

To address several recent topics,

1) The URL for how to get on or off the list appears in each and every
message posted to the list:
 http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html

That's the same URL to use to ch ange your address.

2) Sometimes a list member accidentally posts a message to the list
that was intended as private correspondence.  Any of us can make a
mistake, and many of us have.

3) There is no rule requiring anyone to post their genealogy to the list.
There is only the same request on the web form that has been there for years:
 "When you su bscribe, please also post a message to the list describing
 your relation to Sinclair or a related family."

4) Some of you may have noticed the little campaign for a more tidy
list that Gary and I have been conducting.  It mostly takes the form
of a message with text like that appended.  The list software is currently
set to bounce messages longer than 5,000 bytes.  When I get to it, I usually
send back to the submitter a message with text similar to that below.

Thus far, pretty much everyone who has received one has been most cooperative.
Thanks for all your help in making the list more usable.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@matrix.net>

Example trim message:

Hi-

Please trim your message and repost.
Please remove excess quoted materials.

Why do this?  Because we've had more people leave the list
over excess quotations than for any other reason.

Also, please turn off HTML and send mail in plain text alone:
 http://sinclair.mids.org/sinclair/mail/index.html

Thanks for your cooperation.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@matrix.net>